2.27.2009

Long time no write...

CYDC amigos,

It has been too long!
First off, let me give some BIG UPs to Stanton, Turner @ Green and Francis-Stevens for inviting me into their fantastic schools. It really reminds me about why we're all here and the hard work that you are doing every single day for the kids of DC. Keep your heads up! I see you! (and BoGeY, I'm headed your way next...CSX safety tip--watch out!!)
I'd be remiss if I didn't recognize the team so near and dear to my heart, DC Prep, for being so fantastic and a little territorial about my school visits. You know I love you guys.

I've also gotten a few emails with excellent links to education-related topics; I'm going to be posting these in the "Stuff Teachers Like" corner--so keep checking that out. Thanks (this post) go to Anthony for his link on Public Charter Schools.

Finally, thanks to all of you for the support and feedback...now let's get this ball rolling!


Dear Rae Rae,
I have a problem with a 4th grader in my school. He wants ALL of my time and attention. He won't listen to anybody else but me and if I let him, his day would consist of following me around all day.
--Loved by a 4th grader



Dear Loved by a 4th grader,

This is tough. You don't want to hurt the student's feelings, but you also don't want the child to become a time-and-energy sucker that leaves you exhausted and less powerful! Here are a few thoughts I'm having right now...

*As you have probably already experienced, knowing your kids and their interests is a great way to develop a strong relationship with them. Think about this student and other students in your class--is there anyone they might connect to, besides you? Where are the opportunities to bridge this student with others in the class?
*Have a conversation with your teacher or another adult in the school community. Chances are, they have noticed/experienced this phenomenon and would be willing to talk about it with you! Is it developmental? Are they lacking a role model outside of school? Have they had a similar experience from which you can learn? Pick their brains about it!
*Finally, have a conversation with the student. Sometimes you'd be surprised at how capable kids are of figuring themselves out or being reasonable. Explain to the student that you enjoy spending time with them, but that if you only spent time with them, then you wouldn't be able to do your job well and you need to spend time with other children (or something to that effect). It doesn't always seem like the most logical approach, but talking with a child realistically can be super effective!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any other thoughts or ideas? Please feel free to add on!! Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Great advice Rae-Rae! Hey "Loved", have you taken the advice, and if so, how is it going?

    ReplyDelete